Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Global Education: Travel Information

Travel Documents

In order to reenter the U.S. after traveling abroad, you need the following documents:

  • Most recent I-20 with a current signature by the Global Education Staff
    • See Travel Signature Information
  • Valid passport – valid for at least six months from your date of return to the U.S.
    • Can be renewed at your embassy/consulate in the U.S. or in your home country
  • Unexpired F-1 visa in your passport
    • See Renewing your Student Visa if your visa has expired
  • I-901 SEVIS fee receipt
  • Proof of financial support which is sometimes requested at the port-of-entry
  • Proof of registration for current or upcoming semester
    • Can be printed from
  • If you are on OPT, you must also carry your EAD (OPT) card and proof of employment such as an employment letter or pay stub


Travel Signatures

  • Make sure that your most recent I-20 has a travel signature that is less than 1 year old (6 months if you are currently on OPT).
  • The travel signature can be found on page 2 of the I-20 form
  • Look for a signature and date in blue pen; if the travel signature section is blank, you do not have a valid signature and must request one.
  • The signature is valid for 1 year from that date (6 months if you are on OPT). Take note of the date and request a new signature if the current one will expire before your reentry.
  • If you need a travel signature, please bring your I-20 to Global Education (C-018) or make an appointment for same day signatures (

Renewing your student visa

F-1 Student Visa

F1 Visa Example